Monday, April 21, 2008

Thoughts on 4/20: Being comfortably numb and speaking in tongues

This is only a piece of what Ive been writting, but I thought it was interesting. I think it can be understood without what came before it. My point here is about the nature of speaking in tongues, the other stuff requires the rest of my work so dont worry about it.

"But Hark! That hope which I speak of begins to show its fruit! Dare I say the questions I fall prone to ask may have no answer? Is it all for not that quarrel within me searching for truths with which I am not equipped to discover? Shall I then put my mind to rest, until the answer within my soul spills out without any question to provoke them? For isn’t it the man moved by the spirit which produces the letter, and not the reverse? To me, this sounds like genuine prayer. Much time has past since I have truly prayed that way; and not in vein! How can I account for such a convicting belief such as my God being with me? If I with such confidence can assert undoubtedly this, how wondrous should it be to equally know Love. What a sublime picture have I painted for myself.
I believe in what I have written. Meditating upon this for quite some time has my resolve been solidified. I have come now to purport an amazing challenge to myself and to other fellow sufferers of reason: great words stem from the soul, and very few words provoke that which is beyond its capacity to convict. Reason is dependant on the soul in the realm of the Spirit. I cannot account for this any other way. And it is with fleeting jealousy do I look at the simple minded who are less frequently tempted to use the language of reason to pierce the soul; for its words are incoherent to the soul and only can come from God. It strikes me plainly to see this. God speaks exclusively to the soul, and the soul provokes reason to account for it, but I find reason then to be quite inferior. One who can live by Love and not explain it is far better off than one who can write books on this phenomenon and scarcely even be touched by it.
This reminds me of praying in tongues. Could it be a completely surrendered reason to the soul which brings that language meant for the soul by God out in this incomprehensible manner? Such an odd occurrence to literally hear the spiritual realm! If so, it is then appropriately called a gift of the Holy Spirit. For I am inclined to think it really is the language of God to ones soul. It may be similar to one who comes across the patterns of 1s and 0s which are meant to be understand only within programs, but which may bring to mind how truly amazing it is to witness this foreign language not meant to be understand by a person but exerts its existence. I will dwell more on this issue. But ultimately, we have found a suitable answer in the most unexpected way!"

6 comments:

  1. "not meant to be [understood] by a person but yet exerts its existence, [reminding us in a significant way of the communication between God and soul]. I will dwell more on this issue."

    I should probably add that in a similar way, i guess its possible that another soul could interpret tongues and somehow explain its in plain language what it means.

    And sorry for not strictly defining terms (soul, reason, etc.) i think its clear enough for our purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking in toungues is definitely a language of Love one which should, by its nature, be spoken out of the desire to communicate in an unexplicable way in terms of languages. It shoul be an unhindered and total expression of Love to God ideally. I think that it is a language more between an individual to God, in most cases as least, rather than God to an individual. I think that is how it is a gift. In that it is given to us to communicate to God in a more pure and profound way than can be expressed with the languages we have developed. Also since it is given by the Holy Spirit it can be used, through us, by the Holy Spirit to touch others as well.

    side question: Why use the words "another soul can interpret" I think "person" a better word for although it speaks to/from the soul the body is very important as well, considering it is the body which enables us to verbalize this language in the first place and to communicate an interpretation back

    ReplyDelete
  3. in regards to tongues, are there two kinds which you speak of? When someone inturpretes tongues, are they inturpreting someones prayer to God, or God's message to them?

    in this case, where I am separating soul and body, you could interchange reason and body if youd like. unless you want to say tongues bypasses reason altogether, which I guess is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we please stick to discussions about Pot on 4/20.... thanks-

    i know john was going secretly for the playful pun of tounges resembly a person who could be slightly endowed with maryyawana in there system and i respect that john...

    this is my first post so i reserve the right for it to be pointless...
    This is going to be fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok and the right to have horrid grammar and spelling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post Bic. Interestingly enough this unnusual relationship between philosophy and tongues is somehting I've thought about often. And I've come to the conclusion that tongues is the language of the philosopher (and perhaps the litteratus as well). If we understand God as something infinite which encompasses and outlasts every noun, verb and adjective then s/he/it necessarily exhausts not only language in its actuality (the words we do in fact speak) but also in its potency (the words that might be created and spoken).

    Therefore the philosopher, who recognizes that all language must fall eternally short, or the litteratus, who grows tired of the efficacious yet banal repetition of divine names and praise, can both find comfort in the intimate language of the soul composed as it is of disparate syllables, sustained notes and sighs; a language that by its very nature attests to both the intimacy between its two subjects and the humility on the part of the speaker.

    Why intimacy? Becuaase the language is unique to speaker and subject: a private discourse between a particular soul and her creator--intimate, sustained, irrepeatable. Why humility? Tongues is itself a confession of the inadequacy of language to communicate with the infinite. When spoken sincerely it can only be spoken in humility.

    ReplyDelete